Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Where To, Mademoiselle?



Nothing gets me quite as excited as buying new books, and let me tell you, I don't hold back on pleasuring myself this way. This past spring I bought 9 or 10 new hand-held expeditions, including The Hunger Games Trilogy, TheFountainhead, Atlas Shrugged, Anthem, Partials, and a number of poetry compilations (Robert Frost, JackKerouac...). This summer I have already obtained 4 new books. Woohoo! The Hobbit (which I have already finished, for the second time), TheSilmarillion, The Martian Chronicles, and a T.S. Eliot compilation.



If this needs spelled out any plainer, then I shall do so now: I have varying interests. There. I said it. Generally in life, I consider myself a sucker for the classics: I love Jane Austen and even took a course over her literary works, I am enthralled by Monet, and my favorite color for decoration is what I call Baroque Blue. I enjoy reading the old Scottish writings of Burns, and the quietly discontenting Dickinson. However, as you can see from above, I also have a taste for post-apocalyptic and revolutionary tales. They just get me.



But what I always want to know is what else can I read? If you know of some great books that would fit in or not fit in with my short lists above, please share!

'It is said that the Hornburg has never fallen to assault,' said Théoden; but now my heart is doubtful. The world changes, and all that once was strong now proves unsure. How shall any tower withstand such numbers and such reckless hate?


What are you reading?

Thoughts on books: You can't get a cup of tea big enough or a book long enough to suit me. - C. S. Lewis

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blogging tips