Monday, July 2, 2012

Year of the Movies


I really believe this is the year of the movies. So far I have seen The Lorax, Hunger Games, The Avengers, The Five Year Engagement, and Prometheus, all of which I loved (Hunger Games a little less, but how can you top those books?). I also saw The Vow. . . but I'm a bit ashamed that I insisted on seeing it because it was somewhat disappointing even though the acting was good (I'm a McAdams fan). But there are a lot of movies that are out now or coming out that I am super pumped about.

Abraham Lincoln Vampire Hunter. I'm a huge Tim Burton fan, I even wrote a report about his work for a course last semester. Plus I thought not only the advertisements looked amazing, but that the title sounds hilarious.

Seeking a Friend for the End of the World. I love both Keira Knightley and Steve Carell and am a sucker once again for the implied humor. The preview looks both funny and touching (Steve Carell's niche).



Moonrise Kingdom. Honestly, I'm not sure that I've seen a full preview (until I loaded the one on here) but they had me with their costume design. Plus the film is chock-full of acclaimed actors, which can go horribly wrong or very well, and I'm guess from its reviews that it went well.



Savages. An interesting love-story, some ultra-violence, weed. What's not to be excited about? This plot seems to bring to light an issue of whether or not a dirty business can really be turned clean. The preview did one very important thing: it left me very curious. Maybe it will be easy to guess how everything pans out 3mins in, but I still think I want to see for myself.



Frankenweenie. Another Tim Burton. I love the back story on this film also. This is not the first time Burton has made Frankenweenie: the first attempt lost him his animation job with Disney. Now they have funded the remake. Lovely.



Les Miserables. Hugh Jackman, Russell Crowe, Anne Hathaway, Helena Bonham Carter . . . could they have thrown more of my favorite actors together? This play has been critically acclaimed. The book is by the epic Victor Hugo. Classic.



The Great Gatsby. This is yet another flick that had me at the costume. DiCaprio looks more dapper than ever before! This is just second in line of my list of classics that are coming to film this year.



Anna Karenina. Even though I have one failed attempt to read this book, after watching the previews I am dead set on giving it another go. The sets look breathtaking, the costume amazing, the actors top-notch. I am really looking forward to seeing Wright bring Leo Tolstoy's beautiful writing on late 19th Century Russian high society to life. Plus it appears to have a really great sex scene.



And finally:
The Hobbit. Seeing as how I am a huge fan of Peter Jackson's portrayal of J.R.R. Tolkien's The Lord of the Rings (and watch the entire trilogy, extended editions, every December) I am definitely looking forward to what appears to be the first film of this adventure. For the past three years December has been Lord of the Rings month and I am really excited to add The Hobbit to the lineup. Did I say how excited I am? Oh, and I have already reread the book this summer.



Any suggestions or comments? Also, I am compiling notes on movies with the best sex scenes for a future post. Please leave me your suggestions!

Quote about movies: Am I a romantic? I've seen 'Wuthering Heights' ten times. I'm a romantic.
Johnny Depp

(Every romantic has that one movie . . . )

8 comments:

  1. I just finished reading the Great Gatsby for the first time yesterday and I had no idea a movie was coming out! It looks great. That will definitely be one I have to see in theaters I think.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Doesn't Leonardo looking smashing in it? I actually haven't read the book, was it a good read?

      Delete
  2. The Dictator almost made me pee my pants I was laughing so hard. But you have to have that oh so special sense of humor to appreciate it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I definitely want to see that, but after Bruno I'm a little more hesitant to go in with high expectations ha. Thank you, though. It moved up my list a bit now.

      Delete
    2. It's not like Bruno at all. And in fact, I would actually say it's funnier than Borat. And you know how much I love Borat.

      Delete
  3. They made the Great Gatsby with Robert Redford and Mia Farrow back in the 70's. Heard that rendition was brilliant. I haven't read the book yet, but I can't deny I got excited when I saw the preview - I'm a huge Baz Luhrmann fan.

    Moonrise Kingdom looks hilarious. Can't wait!

    Seriously, read the book Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter by Seth Graham-Smith. It's amazing. The way he weaves fact and fiction during every part of Lincoln's life is incredible. I can't imagine how much research went in to the novel. Now, apparently the movie takes the idea seriously, as the book did too, but audiences were expecting a campy movie like Scary Movie so were disappointed when they realized they weren't getting a humorous movie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll have to check all of that out! I always thought Pride and Prejudice and Zombies looked hilarious so I was really excited to hear the same guy wrote Abraham Lincoln..

      Delete

Blogging tips