Wednesday, June 6, 2012

If Music Be the Food of Love, Play On.



Music. It's such an awesome of a concept that it can stand on its own. I have met a lot of people in my life who say they love music, but few actually mean it. I am passionate about my music: I like it to build me up and to break my heart. If I can't feel some real emotion in the voice of the singer, they may as well not open their mouth. If I can't hear real passion in the guitar, they should have never strummed or plucked. Same goes with any other instrument. I also can't stand to go see live music where the whole group just looks bored with themselves. If you're bored with your music, what do you expect me to be? I can go watch a violist in the Toledo Symphony Orchestra with more vigor and passion.

I can honestly say that I listen to all music. Every type. I will admit though that I go through phases of what types I obsess over. I also know music dating back far before my arrival in this world, lost music (and otherwise), most of which could have stayed lost and no one would have cared. I remember several road trips with my mom where we sang The Carpenters songs, and listening to Aerosmith, Sheryl Crow and Jewel when I was little. In high school I went through an Outkast, Kanye, Alicia Keys and Beyonce phase. Currently I listen to Neko Case, Fleet Foxes, MirandaLambert . . just to name a few.

Today, however, I would like to share a few of my favorite jazz/blues songs. I love Billie Holiday and Ella Fitzgerald and even though I don't listen to much of the instrumental pieces, I really enjoy the whole experience a jazz work can give you.

Oh, and who doesn't LOVE jazz drums!? Sometimes I like a song just for the drums. Check out these songs and let me know what you think. What kind of music are you listening to these days?


No comments:

Post a Comment

Blogging tips