Monday, May 21, 2012

Hiking Around


Exercise is one of my best friends, but after 7 years of running Track on a high school and college level I hate running for the sake of running. I hurdled, ran sprints and even some middle distance, as well as jumps and throws. Yes. I was a heptathlete. It was gruesome and this past year when I ran in to more than my share of health problems I finally called it quits. Then I took months and months off from any physical exertion and they were some of the worst months of my life. Something amazing happened though: after those months, I started getting in to hiking and nature gawking. I always loved being out of doors and my parents were convinced by age 5 that I would be an Entomologist or Archaeologist. I am still considering getting a second degree in Ecology actually.

But anyhow, I began looking up good hikes nearby (if any of you know Findlay, Ohio you know how funny this is) and eventually accepted that any great hiking would be at least a 2 hour drive away. Since my interests began I have taken many walks at the local Hancock County Parks' Oakwoods, have hiked and climbed around Hocking Hills, Charleston Falls, Hot Springs and BaldMountain. This coming Fall I plan to hike part of the Appalachian Trail during Thanksgiving break and am going to spend most of this summer tromping around anywhere I can go. I love our National Parks and really hope to someday work for one. Here are some pictures from some of my excursions and there will be a lot more to come in the ensuing months!

Oakwoods
Oakwoods
Mt Ida in Hot Springs
Bald Mountain, MI
Hocking Hills

Hocking Hills

Evan at Hocking Hills


The mountains are calling and I must go.” - John Muir

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blogging tips