Tuesday, May 22, 2012

The Dream of Heaven and Greatness


Yesterday after I shared some ideas I have for my future I was asked if I had ever heard the term “Jack of all trades, master of none.” Yes. I have. It isn't the first time someone has referred to me with that saying and I have even been known to describe myself in that way. But what I have been thinking on a lot lately is when did it become a bad thing to be good at a lot of stuff? I have always been multi-talented: in sports, in math, science, art, reading and writing, cooking, and crafting. In track I competed in every category: sprints, middle distance, jumps, throws (I have even tried pole vault and ran cross country). In art I do pretty much everything: painting, drawing, sculpting, design, printing, photography. By grade 4 I was reading at a high school senior level. In high school I won awards not only as student of the year in my Painting course, but in Computer Assisted Drafting and in College Writing.

Do I feel as though I am bragging? Absolutely not. It has become very difficult for me in college to celebrate my talents. Actually, it has been stressful to feel satisfied in a major. When I began my college search 3 years ago I was looking at engineering programs, then I changed my mind to either pursue physics or biology. Something inside me snapped though as the pressure mounted and I decided to enter my freshman year at Wittenberg University as an Art and English double major. After that first year I realized I would not be able to afford continuing my education there, and transferred to the University of Findlay where I was offered a generous Track and Field scholarship. Within the first semester I was talked out of my English degree because I would not graduate in 4 years if I pursued it.

Now I am planning a project that will hopefully earn me a 5th year internship with the University of Findlay. My dream jobs are to work for the NationalPark Service in an Ecology position and to have my own furniture store in which I would sell updated furniture and as well as work as an interior decorator. I also wouldn't mind being a stay-at-home- … something … and painting to my heart's content. I want to use my 5th year internship to take courses in Biology and jump start my second degree. I am thinking about applying to TheUniversity of Texas, and to Ohio State for either a Masters of Fine Art and/or an Ecology degree. I have a lot of plans and options!!! Once again, when did that become a bad thing? I am only 20 (21 as of this Friday) … is it not better to have so many roads laying before me than to have no apparent choice at all?

I think so. And last night I began reading Ecclesiastes as if on cue. After I got past the shock of reading what had been on my mind, I found myself already to chapter 3 begging for the rhyme and reason of life to be spelled out. Verse22: So I saw that there is nothing better for a man than to enjoy his work, because that is his lot. For who can bring him to see what will happen after him? Ecclesiastes says that not money, not children, not land, not wisdom, nothing you acquire will ever make your life worth it, so be happy because there is nothing left to do but enjoy your time. There is no command to change your life, find a new job, marry, divorce, move somewhere... the Bible simply states to be happy. 

I have a ton of different interests. They all make me happy.

Ask yourself whether the dream of heaven and greatness should be waiting for us in our graves - or whether it should be ours here and now and on this earth.” - Ayn Rand

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blogging tips