Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Dressing Up for {Happiness}


In high school I conducted a little experiment for a while to see whether the way I dressed affected the way I was treated. You see, I had a real issue with people being jerks to me. Sure, it's high school and everyone is a jerk, but I realized even then that there is no point in [unprovoked] rudeness. The experiment was to discover whether when I put on thought-out clothing, an outfit I had to spend time on, my classmates would hold their tongues.

Honestly, there was nothing scientific about the variables or control factors . . . but I found that I had much better days when I “dressed up”. Whether it was that others shut up or I felt powerful enough to ignore their condescension, we'll never know, but I did learn that I could make myself feel better through the day with nicer clothes.

I'm not saying that you need to wear a $200 outfit daily to feel great, I'm saying that some clothes that match, maybe have a fashion-forward approach or a great piece worked in are going to give you more of a spring to your step than that second or third cup of coffee. (And just a side note: I do a lot of thrifting to find great clothes)

How do you get in the habit of putting on a presentable outfit in the morning? Well there are two great motivators I use: showering in the morning and picking out my threads the night before. The latter of the two might seem juvenile, but think of how much more coherent you are at night and how finding something great to wear will motivate you to get up and get ready to wear it.

Also, I know many people have issues with knowing how to put together clothes that match and/or are fashion-forward. My solution: find pictures of outfits you love, and try to copy them. I still even do this. It's no crime! I mostly use my Pinterest account for this type of research; I will pin outfits, hairstyles and make-up ideas to my Oh La La Fashion board and go back through my pins when I'm about to go out, go to class, or just grab lunch. Here are some outfits I really love and will probably copy soon for the Fall season:

Great look.


.


Boots & dress


..




I don't mind making jokes, but I don't want to look like one. - Marilyn Monroe

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blogging tips