Monday, October 1, 2012

Day 1 of {Happiness}


Today is the start of a new month, and every day is the start to the rest of your life. For the month of October I am writing 27 posts about how to be happier with life.

You may be asking 2 questions: What do I know about being happier with life? What could I have possibly experienced so far that really tested me?

My background is that of a highly anxious, over-stressed girl. I have had my share of panic attacks; not the kind where you lay awake thinking too much and lose a little sleep, I'm talking about sobbing for hours about ridiculous things that no regular human would waste a blink on. Taking showers just to lay in the bathtub crying about nothing. My bestfriend has driven over in the middle of the night to pick me up off the bathroom floor.

It was always hard for me to feel happy around anyone other than my parents, because I always felt judged by my peers. So when my parents separated 3 years ago this month I felt like I didn't have a home or foundation any longer.



You know what is so great about all of that though? I have learned not to rest my happiness on others. I have learned how to be happy about myself, all by myself. And maybe you have experienced something similar to what I described above or are going through something traumatic . . . this month is for you.

Start today's month of being happier by thinking about how you really want your life and the person you want to be. Just take some time to decide not what you want to do, but what kind of person you want to be.


People are often unreasonable and self-centered. Forgive them anyway.
If you are kind, people may accuse you of ulterior motives. Be kind anyway.
If you are honest, people may cheat you. Be honest anyway.
If you find happiness, people may be jealous. Be happy anyway.
The good you do today may be forgotten tomorrow. Do good anyway.
Give the world the best you have and it may never be enough. Give your best anyway.
For you see, in the end, it is between you and God. It was never between you and them anyway.
― Mother Teresa

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blogging tips