Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Rugby Cleats!


With 3 weeks of school already done I think I'm in the groove of class. I have, however, started to get an itch for more adventure and travel again. On the bright side (incredible bright, in fact, you could even saying it is blindingly optimistic) I have joined Findlay's rugby team! I have been so excited about it that for the past few weeks I have been able to talk about little more than how awesome practices are. Our first game is actually this weekend, so you can expect an update next week about how hard I got rocked.

In light of this great news, I have a fun project to share with you. As part of my gear for the team I had to purchase some cleats, so I went to Walmart, bought a pair for just $15. Then the unthinkable happened: my friend asked me to spray paint his cleats for him. If you can just imagine me slapping my palm to my forehead, then you know my reaction. Why didn't I think of that!? I spray paint everything! So, naturally, I stole the idea and applied it to my own shoes in my own fashion.

Here are the results.








What do you think? I love them. I think it is really key that if you do this to your own shoes you leave the sole the original color otherwise you run the risk of them looking homemade. This actually turned out far better than I expected; the paint didn't chip or scratch off the next practice, and it didn't look all plastic.

Now I'm working on my friend's cleats and they're posing a few more difficulties. The paint wasn't really grabbing the material like it had on mine. I think the brand of paint really makes a difference. For mine I used Rustoleum, and for my friend's we decided on Krylon. The Krylon didn't want to play nicely so I just painted over the material with a white that would stick first (Rustoleum brand).

Let me know if you try this yourself and how it turns out!

Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing. - Helen Keller

1 comment:

  1. Ah I love them! I didn't know you were the rugby team either. So fun!

    ReplyDelete

Blogging tips