Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Home Is Here

The thing about home is it the perfect blend of a concrete and abstract idea. Where is home? Home is where the heart is. Home is where they have to accept you. Where we love is home. Make yourself feel at home.

Can you have more than one home? Can home be a time? A person? I feel at home on the road, in my bed, in the studio, with my best friend, in my car, in the kitchen, at night, in a book, and in the woods. I felt at home in my apartment, but it seems like that time has passed. I felt at home in Texas, but that too seems to have passed.

A problem on my mind lately is how do you make a home for two? Playing with this idea has really brought to mind the secret bond between the abstract and concrete meanings of what a home is. Both people have to feel comfortable, but more than that. Both have to feel responsible. Ownership. Respect. Unity. Represented. Making a home is more than having a floor plan, it's having a game plan . . . and patience and understanding.

I cannot even begin to express how excited I am for graduation and everything that comes after. But being at home is like being happy: if you make it your destination you will never be satisfied. Home is about time. It's about finding home in your heart, right now.

So. On with the show! Because I feel at home in the kitchen, even when it's someone else's kitchen and I want to throw things because I'm so lost and at home at the same time, I have rounded up a few recipes for a day of home eating.

PS. One thing that the northern states have definitely done right is comfort food recipes.

Breakfast:
Sheepherder's Breakfast - fry up onions and hash browns in a skillet until brown, then dig holes for each egg, cover and cook until eggs are done.
Sheepherder's Breakfast
And, of course, coffee.
coffee
Coffee, Delicious Coffee

Lunch:
Winter Minestrone with Garlic Bruschetta (click image for recipe)
Winter Minestrone from Crave
A Cheese Danish to follow (click image for recipe):
Cheese Danish from Country Cleaver

Dinner:
Brown Sugar Crock Pot Ham (click image for recipe):
Ham
Brown Sugar Ham from The Crockin' Girls
With Polenta-Crusted Potatoes (click image for recipe):
Polenta-Crusted Potatoes from Simple Bites
And Peach and Cinnamon Cobbler to finish it off (click image for recipe):
Peach and Cinnamon Cobbler
Peach and Cinnamon Cobbler from Deen Bros.



A house is not a home unless it contains food and fire for the mind as well as the body. - Benjamin Franklin

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blogging tips