Friday, October 5, 2012

Take A Day of {Happy}


.
Day after day I tackle my school work little bits at a time, I clean my apartment some, I do a reasonable amount of exercising. Sometimes that built up weight of all my daily responsibilities gets to me, not to mention the times when I have big projects to worry about, or exam time is approaching, or I get sick, or worse: get cramps. In the words of The Dixie Chicks, some days you gotta dance.

An important part of productivity is taking time off. You wouldn't run 10miles a day for five months straight, would you? Often, we take our brain for granted and don't treat it with the respect of lovin' it needs. You're brain can become an overworked “muscle” very easily. This is why I am suggesting that when you're feeling fried don't push through it, take a day off!

Yes, a full day. Off of work, off of cleaning, off of caring. Some people like to argue that they can't really relax if they know they have all this stuff to come back to. I say if that's the case, then you aren't doing your relaxing correctly. You have to engage your mind in something completely unrelated that has either 0 stress, or only eustress. What I am literally saying is you have to consciously distract yourself. I enjoy using my days off to catch up on watching movies or work on crafting projects. It has to be something you like doing or something you have wanted to try.

Breaks should be utilized both in the short run and the long run. A great article by The New York Times, To Stay On Schedule, Take A Break, illustrates perfectly the advantages of taking breaks during the work day. But as I said before, sometimes it's the day to day activities that weight you down. It is just as important to take a full day every once in a while.

Are you feeling worn down? Taking a break may be the most productive thing you day all week. Consider taking tomorrow as a fun day, your brain and body need it! 

He enjoys true leisure who has time to improve his soul's estate. - Henry David Thoreau 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blogging tips